Before we jump into the ways how to increase or boost self-confidence, let’s look at the definition to understand where the lack of self- confidence can come from.
What is Self-Confidence?
Wikipedia defines ‘Confidence’ as a state of being clear-headed either that a hypothesis or prediction is correct or that a chosen course of action is the best or most effective. Confidence comes from a Latin word ‘fidere’ which means “to trust”; therefore, having self-confidence is having trust in one’s self.
It’s a feeling of trust in one’s abilities, qualities, and judgement.
Confidence is feeling emotionally sure, secure and strong – it’s the opposite of feeling fearful, anxious or scared.
Do you think you might be suffering from anxiety? Take a test and find out.
Self-esteem is closely related to self-confidence and is defined as confidence in one’s own worth or abilities; self-respect.
Now ask yourself, in which situations you don’t trust your abilities, qualities, and judgement?
Sometimes you might doubt your abilities in situations that are new, unfamiliar to you, where you don’t have a proven record of success.
Or on the opposite, the weight of the past failure can hider your self-belief and self-trust.
NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) has a great presupposition that says “There is no failure, only feedback”. It helps us realise that “failure is not an outcome but maybe a part of the process”.
When you look at your new endeavours from this perspective, you can remove self-judgment, self-criticism, you can feel more confident at attempting something new or challenging.
I personally absolutely love to use the tool used in NLP, called ‘Parts integration’ used to improve congruency in the individual and to eliminate persistent unwanted behaviour patterns.
If you think to yourself:
“A part of me really wants this new position or career, but a part of me is really scared and sabotaging it”.
Or “A part of me wants to impact the world but another part of me is very scared to speak publicly, being visible, wants to hide”, these parts can be easily integrated and aligned with your life mission and direction.
Another powerful technique can be used to eliminate unsupportive beliefs or behaviour is Time Line Therapy®. If allows to release unresolved emotions and limiting decisions from the past, as well as all types of phobias, anxieties and depression, so that they can then easily create the success and results you desire both in your personal or professional life.
Here are 5 simple techniques that you can implement right now to quickly boost your confidence and self-esteem.
- Forgiveness exercises. Ho’oponopono is amazing, I absolutely love it. Very To let go of the past regrets, perceived failures.
- Live life as a game. Ask yourself – what would you like to play today? Remember your childhood? When the whole world was there just for you to explore and to have fun? Tap into that.
- Physical exercises. Can’t recommend enough. Your personal strength will increase, you will feel more grounded, more in control of your body. Physical activity also stimulates the release of dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. You will feel more positive and optimistic.
- Become your best friend and supporter. Ditch self-abuse. You will feel more confident when there is no judge in your head prosecuting you for every mistake. My favourite expression – “live and let live” – try applying it to yourself.
- Train your brain to calm down and slow down. If you are prone to worry, overthinking, make a daily habit of meditation, progressive relaxation, self-hypnosis to quiet your mind. For more techniques, download my free ebook 55 Easy Strategies To Stop Overthinking, Remove Stress & Procrastination From Your Life.